AT PHAROS, we believe the best solutions come from a mindset of discovery. This principle guides our products, services, and relationships. Working at Pharos, you will enjoy an open culture that emphasizes commitment, respect, and fun. We embrace new ideas and differences and we expect our people to want to learn and discover continually. We are proud to be a Certified B Corp, and to have been recognized by the New York State Society for Human Resource Management as one of the best places to work here in New York State.
We provide industry-leading print management solutions for universities, government agencies, and corporate enterprises all over the world. We make printing more secure, cost-effective, and sustainable for our customers. Over a thousand organizations in 22 countries are currently benefiting from printing environments optimized by Pharos.
Senior Software Developer
We are looking for a senior-level software engineer to help us continue to migrate our on-premises solutions to the cloud.
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual with good interpersonal skills who is able to implement complete lifecycle software engineering tasks. This includes the ability to interact with product owners and other team members to understand requirements and work cooperatively to design and implement new components, features and services. The successful candidate will have:
- 6+ years software engineering experience
- BS Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience as both a producer and consumer of services and APIs
- Eagerness to both review peer code and have your code reviewed
- Willingness to work on new projects as well as update and maintain existing code
- Passion for software as a craft
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and balance shifting priorities and time constraints
- Proficiency in at least one mainstream compiled language (C#, Java, Objective-C etc.)
- Proficiency programming for or against databases – either SQL or NO SQL.
- Proficiency in Git and source control in a team environment.
- Excellent grasp of software design patterns and practices: OOD, KISS, SOLID design, DRY, test driven development, code reviews, etc.
- Competence with automated processes, including continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Experience building single-page web applications with modern web technologies like backbone, angular etc.
- Experience or understanding of Agile software development concepts
- Experience with cloud technologies.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Strong ethics and enthusiasm, with a consistently positive attitude.
- A passion for learning about technology and solving problems.
- Excellent communication skills and development skills.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams, including operations and product management.
- Strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently with sustained focus and initiative.
Key Result: Provide the services that support the efficient, timely acquisition and expenditure of company financial assets.
- Continuously identifying/recommending improvements and efficiencies that automate or eliminate the following activities while maintaining the highest quality for the stakeholders of the business.
- Responsible for executing the Company’s Billing/Revenue function. Ensures that invoices are processed in a timely manner, properly recorded in the general ledger and in accordance with the Company’s current price list and policies and procedures.
- Responsible for timely collection of Accounts Receivables. Applies cash receipts and processes customer credit card payments in a timely manner. Works on collections matters for customer past due balances, and is primarily responsible for following current collection processes.
- Responsible for executing the Company’s Disbursement function. Ensures that the Company’s obligations are processed timely, properly recorded in the general ledger. Initiates appropriate wire transfers between the Company’s bank accounts and to vendors utilizing online cash management tools.
- Responsible for bi-weekly payroll processing with third party payroll and service providers.
Key Result: Provide the management of the company with timely, accurate, complete and actionable financial statements.
- Understand the specifics of our business and how financial statements are used in decision-making.
- Maintains and operates the US general ledger system (including subsidiary ledgers for Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, etc.) to provide the basis for financial statements, variance analysis and other required reports.
- Responsible for preparation of various month end reconciliations, reports and analysis.
- Reviews various reports to prepare accounting schedules and analyses for informational purposes or to support general ledger entries or other transactions.
- Investigates and researches information and transactions in the general ledger or other accounting records to fulfill internal and external information requests.
- Prepares and maintains routine financial data including account reconciliations, journal entries, accruals, etc.
- Provide various ad hoc financial analysis/reports as requested (e.g. investigate inquiries from Department Managers on their budget reports, provide update on Social Committee spending, etc.)
Key Result: Complete required reporting documents that follow both Generally Accepted Accounting Practices as well as government regulations.
- Prepares sales and use tax returns for the ten states within which we have Nexus.
- Continuously look for opportunities to minimize time spent in compliance activities while fulfilling requirements.
Education & Experience:
Associates degree in Accounting and 3-5 years of relevant experience or a Bachelors degree in Accounting and 1-2 years of relevant experience.
Competencies & Characteristics:
- Accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with accounting services (payables/receivables/payroll)
- Extremely well-organized with strong attention to detail
- Passionate about continuous improvement and learning
- Current with technology (especially software/automation) and how it serves efficiency in this financial role
- Competent in Excel (including the ability to create and use pivot tables)
- Strong team player, enjoys interacting and working with others and is willing to ask for help when necessary
How to Apply
Pharos offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, as well as excellent benefits. Please submit your resume, salary requirements, and at least two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pharos Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We take pride in the diversity of our staff, and seek diversity in our applicants.